Beautiful weather in Tampa this weekend . The air is crisp and cool . I got up this morning with thoughts of Ma … it has been a little more than four years since my lowest point but I have learned to live and thrive knowing that my yearning to have her back will truly never go away .She was funny and smart and warm and she was beautiful on the inside and out. Her heart was big and her mind was bright. She became paralysed after her stroke many years before to her passing and I partly lost her then . My trips home were always long taking care of her needs . The initial years after her stroke ; we would watch a lot of TV shows together and one of them was Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khana Khazana . Ma used to see his shows and in her letters to me she would jot down simple recipes every time . Ma loved to cook and I so enjoyed her cooking . I am no where close to her but I follow her style as close as possible . Her capsicum paneer was my favorite ; served with luci it is such a quick simple dish .
Inspired from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khanna Khazana
300 grams cottage cheese (paneer), cut into cubes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion pureed
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoons coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
salt , sugar oil to cook
½ teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves powder (kasuri methi)
1 medium tomato, deseeded and cut into ½ inch cubes 1 medium onion, cut into ½ inch cubes and layers separated ½ medium green capsicum, cut into ½ inch cubes
1.Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and as it sizzles , add onionpuree and sauté till golden brown.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato puree and sauté till soft and pulpy.
3. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder salt , 1/8 th spoon sugar and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Cook on low to medium heat and add like 1/4 cup water to have a thick gravy .
5. Adjust salt ,add dried crushed fenugreek ( Kasuri methi) leaves and mix well.
6. Add tomato cubes, onion cubes and green capsicum cubes, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add cottage cheese cubes and mix lightly. Cook on low till desired gravy .
8.Garnish with chopped coriander .
Thankfully I have found my way out of the darkness and able to cherish the memories . Like my Ma I love cooking , gardening , little knitting as winter arrives ,not an avid reader like her but on and off I try to read and yeah today tried again to post a recipe in my blog ! Hope you will enjoy cooking capsicum paneer !!